|"Louisiana Native American Journal Assignment"
Louise S. McGehee School
This lesson idea can be applied to various groups including the Antebellum girls/boys, slave boys/girls, school children of 1930/40/50 etc., and so on.
Pretend that you are a Indian girl/boy living in Louisiana before the first Europeans arrived. Write a journal or diary entry describing the following:
1. Describe how you look and what you wear
2. Information about your tribe and the people you live with
3. Your relationship with the enviroment
4. The types of food you eat
5. The type of home you live in (You would NOT live in a tepee!)
6. The contributions you gave to the early settlers
You will need to use the pages in the text covering this time period and internet sources for help in writing your journal. Take notes on the information you need to include in you writing, then write your journal entry using your notes. It should be at least one page written or 3/4 page typed (12 point type, double spaced). You should also include a small drawing to represent some aspect of your life as an Indian boy/girl living in Louisiana.
Louisiana101.com Native American Links