- 5-25-83 - First game - 2/3 loss to Starlets
- 5-25-83 - First batter ever - Michelle Edwards
- 5-25-83 - First hit - Christina Walker
- 5-25-83 - First pitch thrown - Mickey Larsen
- 5-25-83 - First run scored - Christina Walker
- 5-26-83 - First win for team (over Red Sox)
- 1983 Season
- 5-31-83 - First batter of season - Desiree Beard
(out at first)
- 5-31-83 - First inning (3up-3 down)
- 5-31-83 - First hit- Michelle "Mickey"
Larsen (2nd inning)
- 5-31-83 - First Home Run - Michelle "Mickey"
Larsen (2nd inning)
- 5-31-83 - First loss - 9/3 to the Dixie Darling
- 6-9-83 - First win - 5/4 over the Starlets
- 1984 Season
- First sister to play for team - Sherry Walker
(sister to Christina Walker)
- Most unusal list of players - Michelle Edwards,
Michelle Cline, Michele Cooper, Danielle 'Dede' English, Danielle 'Dana'
LeBlanc, Ixchel (pronounced E-chel) Perera
- First tournament won - 1984 MGSA - 8/0 win over
- 5-27-84 - First shutout pitched by SweetHearts
- Toby Forbes, 9/0 over Dixie Darlings
- 5-27-84 - First NO-HITTER pitched by SweetHearts
- Toby Forbes
- First opening day win by SweetHearts, 19/5 over
- First real win streak - first four games of 1984
- First winning season 7-3-0
- 1985 Season
- First season not coaching my daughter
- 1987 Season
- First season in red and white uniforms
- First time for former player to help coach -
- 1988 Season
- First year in pin stripe uniforms
- First year to wear pants instead of shorts
- 1989 Season
- First time for THIRD sister to play for team
- DeeDee Walker (sister to Christina and Sherry)
- 1991 Season
- First time for a player to play three years in
a row (team changed age groups) - DeeDee Walker
- 1992 Season
- First year to have former mascot play for team
- Brooke English (team mascot in '83)
- 1996 Season
- First time to have sisters playing on the team
at the same time (Meghan [3 years] and Samantha Laird [2 years])
- First 10 win season
- First league chamionship (co-)
- 1998 Season
- First season to have player quit to go to another
- 1999 Season
- First season to have two powerful pitchers able to pitch as needed
- 2000 Season
- First season to win league championship outright
- First season to win 13 games
- Last season for "Maplewood teams", common draft begins next season.
- 2001 Season
- First season for a city-wide draft.
- 2002 Season
- First team to win 150 games with one coach.
- 2003 Season
- First team to reach 300 games with one coach.
- First season to have three players quit - one before the season, two during.
- First season to have to forfiet a game.
- First season to have my pitcher quit during the season.
- 2005 Season
- First season to have a mother pull her daughter from the team because she wasn't playing where MOM thought she should play.
- First season to have a player show for only one game and never return.
- Coach's 23rd year with this team.
- 2006 Season
- First time to have a real mother daughter - a former player and her daughter (step) to play for the team. They didn't last through the practice schedule and never played a single game.
- Coach's 24th year with this team.
- First season to be involved in five forfeits "winning four and losing one"
- 2007 Season
- First coach in SPAR history to coach the same team for 350 games.
- First coach in SPAR history to coach the same team for 25 years.
- First team to score 21 runs in one inning.
- First SweetHearts team to score 30+ points in a game (in just two innings)
- First SweetHearts team go to a state tournament as a complete league team.
- 2008 Season
- First mom to email me about drafting her daughter [which I did] (mom played for me in '90).
- First SweetHearts former player to come back as a mom and then coach her former team.
- First SweetHeart to die just after the season was over. Shavanna died in a car accident in August of 08.
- First set of twins on the team - Hayleigh and Bayleigh.
- First time I have ever had one player (Hayleigh) score two consecutive runs in on inning. (she scored then went in to run for the following batter and scored two pitches later)
- First time I chose NOT to play a team the second time due to their unsportsmanlike conduct in the first game.
Sept.2, 2009 - Coach's first granddaugther born, (she is the daughter of a former team mascot and the only male name of the all time roster). Looking forward to coaching Bayli Rayne in 11 years.
First season to have a "mass" exit of 'should have returned' players. Three went off to play tourney ball and left the team to draft a whole new team. Another player left this team to go play for another team even though it's against SPAR's policy. And one other player just quit period. Coach got over it and put together his "New" SweetHearts.
First season to begin to consider retirement from coaching. All due to lack of commitment from players. I've had two players quit, two that only play "sometimes" and several who don't show, call, or let me know when or if they will be here.
First season to have multi-forfeits in a row due to lack of players. We actually ended the season with five forfeits in a row. The most of any season since we began back in 1983.
First season in a long time that we did not get rained out of practice.
Made it to an unbelievible 400 games.
Have FOUR former SweetHearts working as assistant coaches this season PLUS four dads.
First time the team has strung together 13 straight losses dating back to last season.
First time the team ever won a game with less than one full inning.
First time in four years without a forfeit.
Celebrated my 30th year of coaching this team.
Every player came back this year to help me celebrate the year. We only had to draft four new players.
Ended up with two additional pitchers to add to the one I had coming back.
We played in two preseason "traveling team" tournaments just to get ready for the season this year.
Have two sets of twins on team this season.
Have a player quit because of something on FaceBook.
Won our first seven games this year.
Having two players out with a boot with broken 'growth plates" and both of them catchers.
Ending the undefeated season by playing the last three games with my last nine players.
Ended the season on two forfeits; the last game due to two players being gone.
Two players, one returning player - our pitcher - quit before season began.
Struggled with players, assistant coaches, weather just to see if we could play games.
Picked up a really good "new" player but we are still losing due to pitching issues but our new pitchers ARE coming along and they will get better as the year happens. It is a struggle but I can see the progess we are making each game.
New player did not play much, missed many games. We struggled to get through each game to be able to finish season. Had my catcher go down with a figure injury. Lost most games this year.
At the end of the season I told the team, parents, officials, park attendant and others that I was NOT coming back next year. I had had enough.
This was not the way I wanted to leave the game I love but it was just "time to go".
I HATE it but I have to leave. It's because of a medical forced retirement -
basically a mini-stroke.
SweetHearts Website copyright © 2013 by Greg English